One of the sweetest looking squares of Italy, it's home to many wonderful palaces and to St. Petronio, patron of Bologna.
The most beloved church in the city. Construnction began in medieval times, but still has a particular unfinished facade, where pink marble cohexists with simple bricks. Don't miss the famous sundial on the floor of the church.
Another landscape of the city, it was created by Giambologna in 16th century; it's a traditional meeting point for everyone, loved by turists; citizens of Bologna call it "the Giant".
While this is a less known fact, St. Pietro is the real cathedral of Bologna, not St. Petronio. Construction begun in 10th century, now its appearance is typical of the neo classical style of 18th century.
Part of the "Genus Bononiae" museum ring, it hosts the Museum of History of the City, and many wonderful art expositions; don't miss the superb rooms frescoed by Carracci.
Is hosted in the 13th century Ghisilardi-Fava Palace. In the courtyard you can see the Conoscenti tower. The museum shows many medieval and renaissance items about the history of Bologna.
Home of Alberto Conoscenti at the beginning of 14th century, then bought by the papal legate Bertando del Poggetto. In the courtyard remains are visible of the imperial fortress, joined to the selenite walls of the first defensive circle of the city.
Made in the first decades of 16th century, it has been extensively damaged by the 1944 bombings. Restored in 2000 with an high tech concept, now hosts importan cultural events.
Built in 16th century, and then rebuilt in 1949 in 19th century style after damages by bombings. Hosts the Comando di Corpo d'Armata.
Founded in 1304 it became headquasrters to Compagnia dei Poveri Vergognosi in 1495; in 1622 it became part of Oratorio di San Filippo Neri. Many 18th century frescoes adorn the walls.
San Colombano is a complex of churches built in many centuries, beginning in 7th century. It contanins an extensive collection of ancient musical instruments donated by Maestro Luigi Ferdinando Tagliavini.
Deconsecrated 16th century church that now hosts Art and history Library of Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio in Bologna, and many temporary art expositions and meetings.